Happy New Year
India is a fascinating country full of contrasts. Even in village life where grinding poverty is clearly evident it is still incredibly colourful.
- You regularly see oxen drawn rickety carts
- Street vendors everywhere displaying their wares
- People crammed into into tiny tuk tuks
- Families of 5 or 6 riding on a single scooter
- Labourers hauling impossible loads on small carts or bicycles
It was into this environment in 2012 that The Widows’ Cause launched its small business opportunities initiative. Through an interest-free repayable loan, destitute widows were given a chance to break the poverty cycle in their lives. Three years later we decided to see how some of our first widows financed into business were doing:-